Saturday, February 15, 2020

Storybook Plan

The Valkyrie Storybook

Cover of The Rhinegold and The Valkyrie by Wagner

I am going to be basing my storybook off of Richard Wagner's "The Valkyrie," a three-act opera in a four-part series. My storybook will have an introduction, and three parts, based on each act. Here is a summary of each part:

The first act consists of Siegmund running from enemies during a storm and finding shelter in Sieglinde and Hunding's home. It turns out Hunding is one of his pursuers and he says he can stay but they must fight in the morning. Siegmund is unarmed but Sieglinde reveals a sword that was left in the tree trunk for the man that would save her, and Siegmund is able to remove it. She then reveals that she is his sister but they also declare their passionate love for each other as the act ends.

In the second act, the twins father Wotan tells his Valkyrie daughter Brunnhilde to protect Siegmund during his fight, but the goddess Fricka demands that they be punished for their adultery and incest. After arguing over it, he agrees and tells Brunnhilde to let Hunding win. Brunnhilde tries to tell Siegmund that he will not win the fight and he refuses to go to Valhalla with her because Sieglinde can't come. So, Brunnhilde defies her father's wishes and tries to help him win but Wotan shows up and lets Hunding win. Brunnhilde rides away with Sieglinde and Wotan kills Hunding, swearing that Brunnhilde will be punished for her defiance.

In the third act, Brunnhilde tells Sieglinde she is pregnant with Siegmund's child and urges her not to take her life for the child's sake. She then sends her away with the shattered sword, and Wotan shows up to punish her. She convinces him to put her into a deep sleep and lay her atop a mountain, surrounded by fire and she will only awake when the bravest of heroes goes through the fire and saves her.

Because of the way this story is structured, in three parts, my storybook will be an overarching story in three parts. There will also be an introduction to explain what comes before The Valkyrie so readers have a good idea of what the previous action/storyline has been.

When I first submitted my storybook ideas, I was thinking that I would do a modern retelling. However, I have been trying to get inspired in a way to do this and haven't been successful. So, I think in my retelling I will just change a few things. I am a big sucker for happier endings, so I've been thinking I will let Siegmund live, while still keeping Brunnhilde's punishment in the story. I also am thinking about removing the incest part of the story. But I have to think of what would constitute Wotan letting Siegmund die.

As far as the message or experience I want to get across to the readers, I'm not entirely sure yet. I feel like I need to do more research to understand Wagner's source material and to understand what the message Wagner was intending for the viewers/readers of his opera.

Sources:  The Valkyrie on Freebookapalooza , the Wikipedia page

No comments:

Post a Comment