Monday, March 9, 2020

From Alexandria to Arian controversy: Wikipedia Trail


Alexandria: I chose to start with this Wikipedia page because while on the class website I know noticed a RT in the Twitter Stream about some objects that had been recovered from ancient Alexandria. It said that part of the city had gone underwater, and I'd never heard about that so I decided to check it out. I had to read the ancient section of the main page.

365 Crete Earthquake: I was led to this page because I found the reason some of those artifacts were underwater was because of a tsunami that devastated the city in 365. It was caused by an earthquake whose epicenter is estimated to be Crete.

Ammianus Marcellinus: I got to this page about a Roman soldier and historian because he wrote a detailed passage about the earthquake/tsunami above. His work is titled Res Gestae and while he wrote a detailed history of Rome from 96-378, only the 353-378 sections survived over the years.

Arian controversy: Finally, I got here because the previous article talked about how Marcellinus was not a Christian but tolerated them. The controversy was over whether Jesus was fully man, fully God, or both. The trinitarian view won out, and is still supported by most Christians today.

No comments:

Post a Comment