Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Reading Notes: The Monkey King, Part A



This week I decided to read The Monkey King unit. I went ahead and read it all at once and it was so interesting! I really enjoyed it and am excited to do my own retelling.

This unit was a bit overwhelming just because I felt like so much happened in such a short amount of time.

I think my favorite parts in Part A were when Sun Wu Kung was being taught by the saint because I think he seemed the least conceited here. Until of course he wouldn't stop asking about immortality.

I also think that some of the story was confusing and that it could be better understood by someone in the culture at the time, or at least someone more familiar with the culture and traditions. I didn't understand why he was made of stone. How did he even move?

I also liked the parts where he was in the dragon realm, just because in a book series I've read that incorporates Indian mythology the five dragons were part of one of the books so it was cool to see something somewhat familiar though still different.

I think in my retelling I will use the time spent with the saint and have things end differently. I think I would like it better if Sun Wu Kung realizes he doesn't need immortality and moves on from that.

Bibliography: The Monkey King, Wilhelm's Chinese Fairy Book

No comments:

Post a Comment