Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Reading Notes: The Monkey King, Part B



Wow, Part B was quite the ride. I definitely felt like there was a lot going on. I wish, in both parts, that there were fewer stories and more details to each one. 

I think my favorite part was when he was finally taught his lesson. Obviously, it sucks that it took him being locked up for 500 years (did he have food???), but I thought that part was good.

I also felt like all the times he was like deceiving the gods and especially the Lord of the Heavens was kind of weird because I would think that they wouldn't be able to be tricked like that. I just felt like it was all too easy for him.

I don't really think I will use any of the material from this part for my retelling, I like the ideas from the first part better.

Bibliography: The Monkey King, from Wilhelm's Chinese Fairy Book

No comments:

Post a Comment