Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche, Part A


Okay, I love this story so far! I have never read anything about Cupid, so this one was really interesting. I do feel bad for Psyche, she just wanted someone who loved her and I didn't fully understand why Cupid wouldn't let her see him. I guess it's something about he's a god and also because he was supposed to be ruining her life per his mother's orders, not being her lover at night.

I thought the bit with her sisters turning against her was interesting, it reminded me of the ugly stepsisters in Cinderella. It seems there is a common theme of sisters turning against each other in fairy tales, or even just girls in general. 

I think this is part of the story that I will use in my retelling.

I'm not sure how I would retell the deal with Cupid. They're married but she can't see him and can only be with him at night. Maybe in the retelling it could be something like, a couple that is forbidden to see each other and they only get to be together at night, and when someone, maybe the girls sisters, figures it out they try to sabotage it. 

I don't really think I will use the beginning of the story at all, the one before the actual story starts. I also don't think I'll use the whole Psyche not being sought by anyone and the parents being distraught. 

I think I'd like to set this in another time period, but I'm not sure when yet. But I think one where people were much more separated by their class than they are today, and perhaps the reason the couple in my retelling can't be together is because they are from such different backgrounds and one of their families (the better off one) wouldn't allow it. 

I'm looking forward to reading Part B! :)

Bibliography: "Cupid and Psyche" from The Golden Ass, by Apuleius and translated by Tony Kline


No comments:

Post a Comment