Sunday, January 26, 2020

Topic Brainstorm

Arthur Rackham "WAGNER'S RING CYCLE: The Valkyrie" (1910)

Idea 1: Storybook on The Valkyrie by Wagner

I'm interested in this topic because I honestly find it to be a really interesting storyline. Freshman year I took Understanding Music and we watched the opera for the class and so I have a decent prior knowledge of the story, though it has been two years. I know that the basic story here is of the two twins falling in love and the goddess Fricka believes they must be punished for their incest, so she convinces their father to remove his protection. His daughter then defies this and tries to save the boy twin, but the father shows up and lets him die and then punishes his daughter by putting her in a sleep on a mountain. I would love to learn more about what inspired Wagner to write this story. I'm not quite sure how my retelling would go, but because I really enjoy modern retellings I would try to do that.

Idea 2: Hans Christian Andersen stories

I'm interested in this topic because I've always loved The Little Mermaid, and know of other stories by Andersen such as The Princess and the Pea and The Emperor's New Clothes. Most of my knowledge comes from TLM Disney movie, and from other adaptations of the other stories. I would love to learn more about why Andersen wrote the stories he did, especially the most famous ones and how they were received at the time. I think I would either retell these stories with different endings, or do a modern retelling of three stories that fit into one overall story.

Idea 3: Greek Mythology

I'm interested in this topic because I have always been interested in Greek mythology and reading/watching different adaptations of the stories. I think the Greek gods and goddesses are some of the most interesting. As far as prior knowledge goes, I've definitely been exposed to these stories a lot already, but I know I have a lot to learn as well. I would love to learn when these myths began and what spurred them, and what real people did to try and appease the gods. If I did a storybook with retellings of Greek myths, I would definitely focus on the drama of it all. I saw a lot of storybooks that gave it a high school setting, which I think is a good idea but I do want to see if I can come up with something more original.

Idea 4: Alice in Wonderland gender-swap

My last idea is to retell some of the most pivotal moments of "Alice in Wonderland" but to do a gender-swap of Alice, and perhaps some of the other main characters. I'm interested in this because I've always loved Alice in Wonderland, though I admittedly have never actually read the book. I would love to use this opportunity to read the classic novel and learn how different it is from the movies I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment