Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Reading Notes: Cupid and Psyche, Part B



Yay, I love happy endings! The second half of the Cupid and Psyche unit was admittedly less interesting just because there wasn't much mystery, but I was definitely unsure if it was going to end well for the two of them.

I liked that Psyche had to complete tasks to earn her life with Cupid, and that she kept receiving help from animals or other objects that saw the ridiculousness of Venus's actions. This story also made me see Venus in a whole new light. I always saw her as this benevolent goddess who was all that is good and beautiful, but not here.

She was the epitome of a crazy mother-in-law, and exceeded every negative expectation of one. However, she ended up receding in the end (at least I assume, it didn't really mention her role after Jupiter allowed the match).

I thought it was so dumb that Psyche tried to take the "beauty." I literally rolled my eyes at that part, and said "Really?" But anyway, thankfully Cupid came to save the day.

I think that I will retell the tasks as something that the male character's mother makes the girl do to prove she is worthy, but obviously they will be much less drastic.

Looking forward to my retelling!

Bibliography: Cupid and Psyche from The Golden Ass, by Apuleius translated by Tony Kline

No comments:

Post a Comment